Everything we do is for the best interests of our animals in our care. Our adoption process is aimed at matching you, your family and your current pets with our animals for adoption.
One of our knowledgeable adoption counselors will introduce you to our animals in a private meeting room. We will share information about the animal's history and needs, behavior assessment and any volunteer / staff comments.
When you find the right pet for you and your family, the adoption counselor will assist you in completing the proper paperwork. This process begins with a pre-adoption survey and also includes signing an adoption contract, reviewing medical history (provided by WPHS) and providing proper pet care information. This process takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
What you will need in order to adopt:
- A valid PA state ID with your current address.
- If you rent, a copy of the lease stating they permit pets at the residence. Your landlord's name and phone number should be listed on the lease.
- All members of the household should meet the animal before adopting. All members under the age of 10 are required to meet the animal.
- If you are interested in adopting a dog and have other dog(s) living in your household, it is required that all dogs meet each other at the shelter. We highly recommend your dog is current on Rabies, Distemper, and Bordetella (kennel cough vaccine) prior to completing a meet and greet at our shelter. We will not be responsible for any contagious diseases that this may cause. Bringing an unvaccinated animal into an animal shelter is at your risk.
- Certain animals require a completed application and a pre-adoption home visit.
- Adoption fee is accepted in cash or credit/debit card. Checks, American Express and Discover are not accepted as payment.
- All adopters must be at least 21 years of age.
Please note: Shelter pets will not be available to engage in meet & greets with the public or another pet the same day that they have a surgery. We will however, gladly set something up for the following day!
Holds - no holds will be accepted over the phone - everyone must have had interaction with the animal. No puppies can be put on hold.
For a $25 non-refundable deposit, a 24 hour hold can be placed on an animal for the adopter to meet the following requirements:
- A meet and greet with other dogs in the home
- A meet and greet with all members of the family
- To produce a lease if you rent your home
The deposit can be applied to the adoption fee as long as the adoption occurs within the 24 hour period. If the client does not meet the conditions within the 24 hour period, the fee will be forfeited to the WPHS as a donation and the hold removed. Payment must be made by cash or credit card.
Adoptions are approved for the first qualified home. Download a Dog Pre-Adoption Survery Here.
Are you a veteran? Learn more about our Veterans Adoption Program!